Water Heater Maintenance Tips
Water Heaters, like all mechanical devices last longer with regular preventive maintenance. Applying the simple tips that we outline below should make your water heater last much, much longer! . If you’re not comfortable doing any of this work yourself, please call our professional plumbers at: 919.571.9146 or fill out our Contact Form to learn how Legacy Plumbing Company can be your Raleigh Water Heater Specialist.
1. To extend the life of your water heater, drain the tank annually to remove any sediment that may have built up inside it. Because not all water heaters are the same, make sure to follow the manufactures recommendation while doing this. The water draining may very well be extremely HOT.
2. Turn down the thermostat in your water heater! It’s straightforward and setting your water heater thermostat to a mid to low range will still provide loads of hot water. This will not only increase the life of your water heater, but also cut down your energy costs.
3. Buy a hot water insulation jacket for your water heater. By insulating the water heater, it’s going to keep the hot water heated longer, reducing standby heat loss (heat lost through the partitions of the tank) by 25-40%, which will save money, and limit how hard the water heater has to work to keep water heated.
4. Install water saving showerheads in your bathrooms and aerated faucets in your sinks. This reduces the quantity of hot water used, which minimizes how hard your water heater needs to work, thus extending the life of your water heater.
5. Insulating your hot water pipes will limit heat loss as the hot water is flowing through the pipes to your faucet.
6. Have your water heater inspected by a certified plumbing technician, every couple of years. This will keep your water heater in tip top shape.
7. Have a Certified technician replace the anode rod about each five years. Corrosive chemical compounds in the water are drawn to the anode rod (a small metal rod in the heater), instead of the water heater tank itself. Keeping this anode rod changed every 5 years will prevent corrosion on the main water heater tank, making the water heater last longer.
About Legacy Plumbing
Legacy Plumbing Company has been providing Raleigh Water Heater services for over 11 years to Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and surrounding areas of North Carolina. We have consistently maintained an A+ Rating with the
Better Business Bureau , and have also received Angie’s List Super Service Award for 2010 and 2011. We are Fully Licensed in residential and commercial plumbing, as well as Backflow Valve Testing and Repair. Our longstanding Membership in the Plumbing, Heating, Cooling Contractors Association, and American Backflow Prevention Association mean that we take our job and responsibility seriously.
We hope you give Legacy Plumbing Company the opportunity to Earn your Business. Please call us at: 919.571.9146 or fill out our Contact Form to learn how Legacy Plumbing Company can be your Raleigh Water Heater Specialist.