Taking a little time now to properly get your plumbing ready for winter can you save you a lot of money during winter. The winter months are especially hard on plumbing. Pipes can freeze and burst, heat can be lost, and the cold weather makes your plumbing systems work harder. Here are a few tips to get your plumbing ready for winter. If you’re not comfortable doing any of this work yourself, please call our professional plumbers at: 919.571.9146 or fill out our Contact Form to learn how Legacy Plumbing Company can be your Raleigh Plumber.
Winter Plumbing Tips:
1. Insulate your Hot Water Heater. Using a Hot Water Heater blanket is a great way to insulate your Hot Water Heater. Doing this will cut down on your energy consumption, leading to lower energy bills, and will extend the life of your Hot Water Heater, because it doesn’t have to work as hard.
2. Insulate your Water Pipes. Most homes, especially in the South East are built on crawl spaces, which means a lot of water pipes run through the crawl space, and are subject to freezing in the winter. Simply insulating the pipes will reduce this risk, and also keep your energy costs down.
3. Turn off Water going to your outside Faucets, and remove hoses. Putting an insulator on the spigot also helps.
4. Perform Water Heater Maintenance. Performing Water Heater Maintenance is a simple and cost effective way to extend the life of your water heater. Having this done by a professional plumber, like Legacy Plumbing Company , will also give our professionals the opportunity to check your system, and make sure it’s ready to survive the winter. Here’s a good article that we wrote on Water Heater Maintenance Tips.
5. Purge the water from your sprinkler system. Having air blown to purge water from your sprinkler system, will prevent costly repairs due to a frozen system.
6. Learn where your main water shutoff valve is. This will let you empty the pipes if you are away on vacation, so you won’t come home to frozen, or busted water pipes.
About Legacy Plumbing
Legacy Plumbing Company has consistently maintained an A+ Rating with the
Better Business Bureau , and have also received Angie’s List Super Service Award for 2010 and 2011. We are Fully Licensed in residential and commercial plumbing, as well as Backflow Valve Testing and Repair. Our longstanding Membership in the Plumbing, Heating, Cooling Contractors Association, and American Backflow Prevention Association mean that we take our job and responsibility seriously.
We hope you give Legacy Plumbing Company the opportunity to Earn your Business. Please call us at: 919.571.9146 or fill out our Contact Form to learn how Legacy Plumbing Company can be your Raleigh Plumber.